Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Adventures of Niffer and Mincent: Days 1a, 1b and 2

Hello from Amsterdam!

I appologize for the mass email, but hey... consider yourselves the lucky few that I'm taking the time to share my adventures with! Congrats!

Our trip to Europe (for those of you who do not know... Michael and I are in Europe for an entire month!) started off pretty well. I had to sit next to a Michigan student all the way from Baltimore to London. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Michigan. However, I do have a better appreciation for the patience that Michael shows during the rare nights that I periodically kick (apparently every 30 seconds), because the girl would twitch every minute or so, and everytime she did, her Michigan sweatshirt would rub up against my elbow. 60 twitches per minute multiply by 60 minutes per hour, mulitply by 6 hours... Don't worry, I *think* we both made it off the airplane alive. =)

Arriving in Amsterdam, we were surprised at how much we liked it here. The only reason we're here really is because that's where the cheap flights went to. But it's actually a really really nice city. The architecture is beautiful! All the buildings are old, but they're all different from each other. The rooflines are all different shapes and styles, and often different heights. I LOVE IT!!! And the city has lots of canals... super-purty!

The best part? THE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!!! It's really a miracle that as Americans, we can survive without such things!

Anyway, with it being Amsterdam and all, our trip started off on a naughty note. Amsterdam is cute like Venice. Cute, but with a kinky side. ;-) Pot is legal here, as is prostitution. They have a redlight district scattered with window shops (yes, you can see the merchandise-girls in the window), and toy stores. lol... glad to have gotten all that out of the way. :-)

Other sites we saw today... Anne (yes, with an E) Frank's house. I gotta say... it's much bigger than I thought. And not what I imagined. In fact, I went around looking for a building that looked more appropriate. :-) No, actually, it was very moving.

We also saw a neat Catholic church that was hidden in the attic of a house because for a while it was Catholicism was not permitted. Whoa! Now that's a different twist.

Tonight we went to a comedy show... great times. They did a pretty good job of making fun of of the Dutch as well as Americans. If you're ever in Amsterdam, let me know... I'll give you the name of the place. It was hilarious!

Ok, now I'm off to sleep... I think we get to see windmills tomorrow! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment