Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Adventures of Niffer and Mincent: Days 13, 14 and 15

First, you will be relieved to know that you no longer have to worry about us. We are no longer stranded in Switzerland. Second, let me tell you that we were stranded in Switzerland. You did not know this because we did not have electricity and thus could not email, or call for that matter. If we did have electricity, then we would have been able to leave the town (which is situated on the side of a cliff) by using the finicular (sp?) or gondola down the side of the mountain. Of course, that would not have helped much with the stranded situation because the road and train tracks were covered in water.

So we were stranded in the Swiss Alps. We could not get to the top of the mountains that we wanted to see (see above explanation), and we only had enough money (ATM machines require electricity) to either a) buy food to eat or b) buy our cow bell. I will give you one guess as to which we chose. Do not worry... we were able to beg for something to eat.

Why were we stuck in the Swiss Alps, you might ask. Or at least, I am assuming you would ask because I am assuming you did not see it on American TV. There was a storm that swept through Europe. Spain got snow. Switzerland got lots and lots and lots and lots of water. When we showed up, the rivers looked like chocolate milk. In fact, Switzerland is the only country in the world that mixes their chocolate by waterfalls (if you do not get the Wonka reference, then never mind). Anyway, the result was many roads and bridges being washed out, and the train tracks being flooded. Luckily we were stranded in a beautiful place. The weather cleared and we were able to see wonderful snow capped peaks. We just were not able to leave.

Then this morning we were told we could not stay any longer. The road down the mountain was open and they shuttled us out. Just in time, too, since I had to meet my pen-pal (more later).

Anyway, I will try to keep it short...
1. We learned that a European town can substitute a good church bell with many cow bells.
2. Cows and sheep act like dogs. They run up to their owners, all excited, and then follow them through the fields (straight down the side of a mountain, but that is beside the point).
3. Rain and gushing water and streams and waterfalls make it very difficult to walk quick enough when you have to use the bathroom.
4. Clouds move up the side of mountains.

I guess that is it. If it is not, then I am just too tired to remember. Oh, I finally met my penpal (I have been writing to her for 15.5 years - I recounted today). She is so pretty and so friendly. I am looking forward to spending the next couple of days with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment